Friday, March 18, 2016

Starry Nights with a Skeleton

I am the tired traveler,
Weary and aching in every bone
Many days and nights have passed
Since I began my journey
Days bring heat and hopelessness
Nights bring exhaustion and weariness
I am the homesick traveler,
I long for my home
But is it there?
No contact, no messages
I have no record of the time
Only the sun and moon to guide my steps
I am the lonely traveler,
At last
A familiar sight
The old tree beckons me home
Like an old friend long forgotten
I bound forward with new found hope
I am the happy traveler,
Reaching the "X" on my treasure map
The moon has risen to signal it is time for sleep
But no exhaustion or weariness is felt
The moon hangs high overhead
Accompanied by those whose souls are worthy to become celestial bodies
I am the consfused traveler,
These streets are empty
These homes are devoid of sleeping bodies
No breathing, no snoring to be heard
Thick dust blankets everything
This place is not my home
I am the ghost traveler returning to a ghost town
I am the lost traveler has returned from the land of the dead
I am the dead traveler, who died before he could reach his home

Author's Note
This is a combined poem of the two pieces of artwork that I chose, Starry Night and Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette. Both of these were painted by Vincent van Gogh, which a profile can be read by scrolling down a few posts, or clicking here. This is the narrative poem of a traveler who died on his journey home, where the skeleton part plays in. I tried to insert a few hints towards this, but I decided to also include this part if it wasn't too obvious. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you've woven your narrative across both pieces and the repetition of the I am lines throughout. It makes me think of a soldier trying to make his way back home after the Civil War, knowing his home and his life and all the people in it will have changed or might even be gone. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete