Friday, April 1, 2016

Culture Swap

Dear Chinese pen pals,

Your instructor sent us a list of the videos you will be watching in class, and our own class took the liberty of watching these as well. Personally, I didn't watch any of the What Would You Do? episodes until now; I didn't even know it was a show. I will comment on both of What Would You Do? and the Wife Swap episodes, and say that they show some very extreme sides of America, and keep in mind there are the in between, who aren't as extreme in their beliefs and what they have in their home. Although the Wife Swap does do a good job of showing some aspects of America, it doesn't show those who are the middle class, which is how I live. I don't live in a home with a bone yard in the back and have to hunt for my food every day, but nor do I live in a large, extravagant house with a shrine set up for my own accomplishments. Personally, both of these people are very defensive of their lifestyles and how they raise their children. There are households in America where the woman "wears the pants in the relationship," meaning she's pretty much the boss and takes control of situations where society thinks men should take control, but I think that's ridiculous and an uncultured aspect society has for relationships. Personally, I believe women can be just as much outgoing and headstrong and take control of a situation as men can. Some of the things accurately portrayed in these episodes is that some people do turn a blind eye to those in distress, especially if they're what some inaccurately consider to be "out of the norm." But there are those who are truly kind and generous and will spare a minute to help a woman dressed in a hijab to change her tire. I like to think that I personally would try to help, even if I don't know how to change a tire myself. There are many who are opposed to gays, mainly those who are close-minded and unwilling to accept change. But one of the best pieces of advice I've ever received is that the only constant in our lives is change, which also contains irony. So if someone tries to speak out against gays and others who aren't heterosexual, I think there are many Americans who will take a stand and defend their fellow citizens. I think there are many situations in American life in which we just want everyone to mind their own business and go about their lives, but there's also an aspect where they want you to take a stand for your beliefs and make sure other people know to keep their opinions to themselves. It's a very complicated society, but it's the only one I know. I'm proud of how our society can come together in times of need, but being an introverted, or private and reserved, person, I think Americans should save their opinions on more things and keep our noses out of other countries' business.
How do you perceive some of America's customs and how we live as a society? Do any of these shows help with your perception, or do they make us seem more extreme?

Sincerely,
Ryn

No comments:

Post a Comment